We are pleased to announce that we have successfully supported our program partner, HHA Cambodia, in obtaining a grant from the One Young World COVID Young Leaders Fund which will help with the education and prevention of Covid-19 in Siem Reap.
Although we originally supported an application for the COVID-19 Tuk-Tuk outreach program, this program has pivoted due to Cambodia’s control over the spread of COVID-19 and prevention to date of community transmission being a remarkable success.
As schools are now reopening in Cambodia, HHA Cambodia has pivoted the program, with financial support from the COVID Young Leaders fund, to support public schools with implementing the Standard Operating Procedures directed by the Ministry of Education and Sport. These operating procedures require students and teachers to maintain physical distancing, wear face masks and clean their hands frequently with soap at school.
Instead of driving around villages to conduct conducting hygiene outreach, HHA Cambodia’s team will run COVID-19 workshops in the classrooms for students and teachers and distribute reusable face masks and soap. This new approach will include the following steps:
- HHA Cambodia’s team will meet and sign project agreements with three public school Principals in Sambour and Krobei Riel communes
- Their seamstresses will produce 20,000 face masks, generating an income to support their families
- 20,000 bars of soap will be ordered from HHA Cambodia’s partner, Eco-Soap Bank
- COVID-19 workshops will be run at the public school for approximately 10,000 students and teachers
- 20,000 masks and bars of soap will be distributed
This pivoted program addresses the following SDG’s:
- SDG 3: producing medical supplies to tackle the infection of the virus
- SDG 6: providing sanitation resources to help prevent the spread of the virus
- SDG 8: creating work for unemployed persons
We are constantly amazed and inspired by HHA Cambodia’s ability to adapt to the pressing needs of their community. We can’t wait to see the results of this program!